We all have interests, but we do not all have the same interests. Fortunately, as you can see from the long list below, our local Jewish community offers a wide variety of programs, allowing all of us to find some way of connecting to the Jewish community. In an effort to diversify our programming, Federation offered several different opportunities this past week and a couple of new ones for next week.
This past week, we had the following programs:
- “Why? Explaining the Holocaust” with Professor Peter Hayes
- Breakfast (first in our series) with the FBI, NYS Police , and local law enforcement
- “The Jewish Tradition of Mah Jongg” with a game night
- Devils Hockey at the Times Union Center
Coming up this week:
- This Tuesday at 6:00 PM, we will be sponsoring a program with To Life and Jewish Family Services, involving a panel discussion on important issues surrounding breast and ovarian cancer genetic predisposition. This is a free program. You may register here.
- Our neighbors the Jewish Federation of the Berkshires have invited us to join them this Wednesday, at 7:00 PM, for a program “Left vs Right; The Battle for Israel’s Soul” featuring J.J. Goldberg and Jonathan Tobin debating Israel. They present a model for civil discourse when discussing a topic so precious to both of them, but from different perspectives. Please let me know if you plan to attend and if you need a ride or can offer one.
- This Thursday a 40-person delegation will be going to NYC to meet with foreign consulates and receive briefings from key Jewish leaders.
All of this is happening as well as the ongoing programs of Federation, our synagogues, and our local agencies. You don’t want to get involved in the Jewish community until after basketball season? I would have accepted that, but Beth Emeth’s Brotherhood is getting together to watch some Final Four games. Get involved. I promise, there is something for you. Let me know how I can help.