Temple Beth El of Troy is seeking an energetic and self-motivated individual to work as the office
administrator and assistant for our synagogue. This person will work with our Rabbi and lay leadership
(president, vice-president, treasurer, and board secretary) to facilitate all of the operations of our small
congregation (approx 70 active members).
In our congregation the office administrator is typically the first person contacted by our members or a
member of the public therefore you must have strong communication skills and the ability to hear what
a person is saying and answer their inquiry; or route them to the appropriate person be that the Rabbi,
or a member of our lay leadership. Most communications are done through voicemail or email today,
although we do have the occasional member or lay leader who may stop by during your office hours by
appointment. This position largely deals with people remotely even if you are working from the office so
fluency with online communications is a must have.
Many of the responsibilities of this position are routine on a weekly or monthly basis. Other
responsibilities are yearly based on the Jewish cycle of holidays, such as Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and
Typically weekly and monthly responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Receive all physical mail and deliveries at our building at least once or twice a week at the
direction of the president of the congregation,
● Management of the member records (contact info, creating new records, entering life-cycle
events such as birth, marriages, and deaths),
● Maintenance of organizational documentation (such as meeting minutes) in conjunction with
the Secretary of the Executive Board,
● Word processing and production of mailings for thing such as meeting announcement, holiday
schedules, and other purposes,
● Composing and sending weekly and monthly email updates and schedules to the membership,
● Composing and producing our quarterly newsletter in MS Word (typically 4-6 pages much of
which is standardized such as recent donations, listing of birthdays, anniversaries, etc.),
● Recording Receipts from members and others,
● Recording Payables to be processed by our treasurer,
● Ordering and maintaining office and synagogue supplies,
● Following up on voicemails and emails, answering where appropriate or routing to the
appropriate Executive Board member,
● Maintaining a neat environment at our synagogue building,
● Coordinating with and assisting lay leadership, Rabbi, bookkeeper, and congregants/community
in smooth operation of all aspects of the synagogue.
Typical Seasonal Responsibilities include:
● Producing materials for Yom Kippur including our annual Yizkor book (memorial book for
deceased members and relatives of members),
● Contacting members and others who may be asked/offered to take a part in our holiday services,
● Producing special mailings related to the Jewish holidays.
This position can be a hybrid part on-site and part work from home. Typically the administrator is the
only person in the building except for our Rabbi on most business days. Work hours are flexible.
The right candidate must have strong written and verbal communication skills; be comfortable working
with MS Windows, MS Excel, MS Word, the internet, email, ordering things online for supplies, and other
online duties; be able to learn and use our web based member management software (Rakefet).