Take Action For Tu B’Shevat
Five Things you can do to SAVE A TREE!
Provided by www.coejl.org
- Send a virtual postcard to the US Forest Service at to support an effective policy to protect our national forests.
- Reduce Junk mail. Send a letter to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, PO Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008 asking to remove your name from mailing lists.
- Buy one forest friendly alternative to an everyday product. Some suggestions: avoid paper cups by investing in a reusable travel mug, buy stationary from tree-free paper or recycled paper with at least 50% post-consumer waste, or share a newspaper or magazine subscription with a friend.
- Make a commitment to purchase only wood products certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC); ask for them at The Home Depot.
- Pick two actions from the “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” list and commit to doing them this year. Next year pick two more!
Even More Ways to Save Paper!
- Take your name off direct mail lists.
- Use both sides of paper – for writing, copying and printing.
- Buy recycled paper processed without the use of chlorine: Neenah Paper (recycled paper – environment section), Conservatree – Paper for the Environment, ReThink Paper (paper selector tools)
- Recycle used paper.
- Make smaller documents – print two on each sheet of paper and cut it in half.
- Use old envelopes, brochures & mailers that are printed on a single side for scrap paper.
- Reuse wrapping paper.
- Unused envelopes that are glued together can be separated! They will open right up once they come under a hair dryer or simply place them in a microwave for a minute.
- Use handkerchiefs/cloth napkins/cloth towels instead of tissue paper/paper napkins/paper towels.
- If you must use paper napkins or towels, use only one at a time instead of grabbing a handful.
- Use a canvas bag for lunches and shopping.
- Buy used books – Advanced Book Exchange, Half.com.
- Use telecommunications and computer media whenever possible.
- In Microsoft Word, go to File/Print. In the lower right-hand corner, find the Zoom box. Change the Pages per Sheet selection to 2 or 4 pages.
- Send e-cards – Care2.com, Blue Mountain.