Women Building a Nation: A Celebration of Israel’s 75th Anniversary
Join us as we explore the stories of six women who have shaped Israeli culture, politics, and society. Judith Rosenbaum will bring to life the women’s challenges, perseverance, and successes. Their life’s work include medicine, politics, language, music, and education:
- Hemda Ben-Yehuda, who institutionalized modern Hebrew along with her husband, Eliezer Ben-Yehuda (who gets all the credit!)
- Ofra Haza, who brought Mizrahi music to mainstream Israeli and global culture
- Ada Maimon, who served in the first and second Knesset and fought for women’s equality in Israeli politics,
- Dr. Helena Kagan, a pioneer of pediatric medicine in pre-State Palestine known as “the children’s doctor of Jerusalem.”
- Alice Shalvi, a feminist and leading innovator in girls’ education and founder of the Israel Women’s Network
- Ruth Calderon, a scholar, politician, and public figure who bridges the religious/secular divide in Israeli culture.
We will be inspired as we learn together about their diverse lives, contributions, and impact on Israel from its founding days to the 21st century.
Dinner, Wine & Dessert | $36 pp
($18 pp for young adults and students)
REGISTER HERE: https://jewishfedny.ticketspice.com/wp-nccwe
You will have the opportunity to privately make a gift to support your Jewish community.
Judith Rosenbaum (back by popular demand) is an engaging and knowledgeable speaker. She is CEO of the Jewish Women’s Archive, which documents Jewish women’s stories, elevates their voices, and inspires them to be agents of change.
Sponsor: Women's Philanthropy of Jewish Federation of NENY